Admittedly, my DIY is mostly driven by my tight financial circumstances, but I have actually been DIY-ing since I was fifteen when I made my very first project: Wooden cottages that were cut by hand in a little wooden mitrebox with a handsaw, and then individually painted with different house fronts (& gardens).
I gave them to my closest friends for Christmas like a little village. I know that one of my girlfriends kept hers for more than a decade.
Now, I do almost anything DIY related and I just love it.
* designing and making furniture
* fixing broken elements in my house
* designing and sewing clothes (inc a wedding dress!)
* Creating pieces of art
* all manner of home decorating
* reticulating the garden
* drywalling my kitchen
* disconnecting old terracotta waste pipes
* building furniture
* disconnecting an old water tank
* removing old carpet and vinyl
* levelling, stripping and polishing 100-year-old floorboards
* painting the exterior of the Purple Paper House . . twice
* sewing and installing curtains
* designing and casting plaster corbels and decorations
* growing all manner of plants from cuttings and seeds
* install new aluminium windows
* paving the backyard path
* building storage pieces for the house and shed
* constructing a-frame signs for the business
* designing and building display structures for expos and markets