. . . . or beans or beetroot or kumara.
Helping your children to plant vegetables is like gifting them true magic. Planting a seed (or tuber, aka potato), seeing it sprout, watching it grow and eventually picking the fruits . . . is pure wonder.
So use these holidays to plant something, that will change your child/ren’s life.
What You Need:
- A container of any description
- Seed potatoes ++
- You can use any sort of water-resistant container ** I used these laminated cardboard boxes as they are the perfect size and it’s recycling at it’s best
- Put no more than 10cm (4″) of dirt into the bottom of the container
- You can plant a whole seed potato into the box,
- OR, you can cut the seed potatoes and place one half in the box
- Lay any shoots on the seed potato, downwards
- Cover with 5cm (2″) and water well
- These five boxes have a whole seed potato in them
- These two boxes have one half of a seed potato in them
I will post an update in two weeks to show you how to top up your container with dirt, in the meantime all you need to do is keep an eye out for green shoots coming out of the dirt.
One of the greatest aspects about growing potatoes is that you don’t need fancy potting mix or expensive soil. They like well drained soil and don’t need a lot of manure/fertilisers because the nutrients are already in the seed potato. Cool huh?
There were so many seed potatoes in the bag that I planted another five in a huge ceramic pot and still gave another six away to a friend.
++ Although it’s true that you can plant regular cooking potatoes and they will sprout,
the truth is that these don’t store well when harvested and they quite often rot.
It’s always best to buy seed potatoes.
** In mid-2014 I discovered that I had a mild thyroid disorder
due to one of my medications that controls my Clinical Depression.
I did a fair bit of research as to counter my poorly functioning thyroid,
and I discovered that chlorinated water inhibits the ability for the thyroid
to absorb iodine, which then has an impact on the body’s metabolism.
So I started drinking non-chlorinated water, hence all the boxes!